Winter Sports Schedules for Addison County schools and Middlebury College:
- Adirondack Hike with the Green Mountain Club - Saturday, July 20. A moderate eight-mile round trip hike; trail rises 900 feet to spectacular views of Adirondacks and Greens. Hike starts at Putnam Pond (NY Rte. 74); for information on exact start time, place, and carpooling from Middlebury, call Gordon or Helen Cawood at 352-4310.
- Downhill Skiing and Snowboarding - There are many ski areas close by, and they all have webpages with information on rates, schedules, snow conditions, trail maps and special events. Check out the following sites:
- Pick-Up Ultimate Frisbee - Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30pm at the soccer fields off Creek Road in
Middlebury. The game is fun, easy to learn and open to all ages and levels of experience. Bring a white and a colored t-shirt. There is no charge!
- Bristol Skate Park - located right next to the HUB in Bristol
- Bristol Recreation Department - Bristol Rec. has sports classes every season. To see what they are offering right now, visit their website at www.Bristolrec.org.
- Bristol Hiking Group - Grades 7-12 - Learn about the natural environment right out your back door while developing hiking and survival skills. Hikers will learn hiking techniques, what to pack for a trip, and trail safety. As a part of community service, hikers will do some trail maintenance or trail development as part of the experience. Some outdoor equipment can be provided on a first come, first served basis. The group will meet monthly to develop an agenda for hiking and outdoor activities. Time and place TBA. This project is cosponsored by UVM Extension, Vermont Parks, Recreation Association and the Bristol Recreation Dept. Call 453-5885 for more information.
Local Sports Groups
- Vermont Fencing Alliance - Ancient art, Olympic sport, championship club -- learn to
fence with VFA! Instruction, recreational fencing and competitive training in foil and epee for ages 9-adult, with a unique Junior Team program for motivated teens. We promote the sport of fencing in Vermont, offering instruction and training, organizing monthly meets and frequent trips to out-of-state competitions, and running an intensive Junior Team program for serious athletes age 12-18. The next round of beginners classes starts in the fall. Contact us to get on our mailing list by calling 759-2268. Visit our club website.
- Zero Gravity Skateboard Park in Rutland's George Eddy Park - Summer hours,
open Wednesday to Friday 12:00 to 9:00 p.m., Saturday 12:00 to 9:00 p.m.,
Sunday 12:00 to 6:00 p.m. Fee is $12 per day, or $6 after 7 p.m. To get
there, take Route 7 south to Rutland. Take a right on Crescent Street
(this is before you get to junction of Rt. 4). Go all the way down until
you go over a bridge. Take the immediate right after the bridge on
Preville Ave. As Preville Ave. ends, you'll see the big building ahead
and to the left. Call 775-7976 for information.